Follow these tips for an injury free home.
- Outlets in most houses can safely provide only 1,500 to 2,000 watts of power. A microwave draws up to 1,100 watts. If you have a microwave plugged into an outlet, it should be on its own.
- Clear your hallways by picking up toys that pets or children leave lying around. This will prevent trips in the night.
- Keep a fire extinguisher within reach of the oven in the kitchen and an additional extinguisher on all other floors.
- Swap real candles for flameless ones. The flameless candles have a flickering glow without the worry of house fires.
- Put a no slip mat on the tub floor and have something sturdy to grab for when you get in and out.
- Maintain three points of contact on a ladder at all times: both feet and one hand. Never wear sandals or flip flops when climbing a ladder. That’s an accident waiting to happen.
- Put a CO detector in the basement in addition to every floor of your home. Odorless CO leaks from fuel-burning appliances can cause serious problems.
Always clean the lint trap after every use of the dryer and keep loads small.